Location: Public areas throughout Minsk and the rest of Belarus.
Event: The U.S. Embassy reminds U.S. citizens to exercise increased awareness and vigilance regarding potential rallies, assemblies, protests, and demonstrations within the Republic of Belarus following the presidential elections and inauguration. These gatherings may occur spontaneously with increasing frequency or little advance notice, with no current estimate for when they will end. Internet can be disrupted, limited, or completely blocked without warning, which makes it difficult to assess conditions in specific regions of the country, or send electronic alerts warning of sudden changes in the situation. U.S. citizens are therefore advised to be cautious when moving around the country, particularly in the evening or at night. U.S. citizens are also advised to prepare a plan for communication with important contacts such as family, friends and U.S. Embassy Minsk in an emergency.
The U.S. Embassy reminds U.S. citizens to avoid public demonstrations, to remain aware of their surroundings, and that gatherings intended to be peaceful can quickly become confrontational and escalate into violence. Furthermore, these activities may cause disruptions to public transportation services, traffic delays and/or street closures, and an increased police presence around rally sites.
As the political and security situation develops, U.S. citizens are advised to consider transportation and travel options, such as public transportation, flight availability and land border crossings, that allow you and your family members to maintain personal safety.
Actions to Take:
- Avoid mass gatherings.
- Monitor local media for updates.
- Be aware of your surroundings.
- Maintain at least a three-day supply of food, water, medications, cash and other essential items for emergency use.
- Carry proper identification at all times, including a U.S. passport with a current Belarusian visa or valid visa-free entry stamp.
- U.S. Embassy Minsk, Belarus
+375 17 210-12-83 / 217-7347 / 217-7348
+375 29 676-0134 (after hours for American Citizens) email@example.com
- State Department – Consular Affairs
888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
- Belarus Country Specific Information
- Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security updates
- Follow us on Twitter and Facebook