The U.S. Embassy in Minsk announces the application season for the 2019 Sports Visitor Program, an intensive two-week exchange program for youth athletes aged 15-21 years, who will play soccer and continue developing their English skills in a practical, fun, and sport-focused summer camp, offered in August of 2019 in the U.S.
Deadline for applications is February 19, 2019.
The non-elite youth athlete track of the Sports Visitor Program entails a thematic-based sports camp, where participant’s experience is devoted to on-the-field sports training and off-the-field in classroom workshops, community engagement, and site visits, which deepen participants’ understanding of the United States. This track endeavors to maximize interaction with American peers and will be implemented in conjunction with an existing sports camp at an institution of higher education and/or other local organization. Participants will primarily stay in university dorms. In certain instances, participants will stay with host families.
Candidates nominated for this program will:
- be 15-21 years of age at the time of the program start (August 2019);
- have foundational experience playing the sport (but need not be gifted athletes);
- be proficient in English, as demonstrated in a personal interview;
- indicate a serious interest in learning about the United States;
- demonstrate a commitment to community and extracurricular activities;
- have had little or no prior U.S. study or travel experience in the United States;
- be mature, responsible, independent, confident, open-minded, tolerant, thoughtful and inquisitive;
- be willing and able to fully participate in an intensive summer program, with community service and educational travel;
- be comfortable with campus life, shared living accommodations, travel and interaction with a multinational group of participants from across Europe and the United States;
- be comfortable engaging with the Americans they meet in the host communities; and
- be able to adjust to cultural and social practices different from those of their home countries.
Please send your completed application form to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line “Soccer Camp” by 23:59 (Minsk time) on February 19, 2019.