Location: Air Travel Between the United States and Belarus
Event: On June 29, at the request of the U.S. Department of State, the U.S. Department of Transportation (DOT) issued a show cause order to prohibit the sale of direct passenger air transportation, including air transportation on an interline basis (e.g. tickets booked through one airline that contain flights operated by multiple airlines), between the United States and Belarus. Once the DOT order becomes final, only direct air transportation deemed to be in the national interest of the United States, including on humanitarian or national security grounds, may be excepted. For more information, read the Department of Transportation Order.
Please read our Travel Advisory for Belarus, which contains a link to FAA’s Advisory Notice to Airman (NOTAM) advising U.S. citizens to exercise extreme caution when considering travel into, out of, or over Belarus airspace.
Actions to Take:
- Confirm flight options directly with the airlines if you are seeking to depart or re-enter Belarus.
- See the U.S. Embassy’s web page regarding COVID-19.
- Visit the CDC’s webpage on Travel and COVID-19.
- Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive Alerts and make it easier to locate you in an emergency.
- Follow the Department of State on Facebook and Twitter.
- Review the Crime and Safety Report for Belarus.
- Have a contingency plan for emergency situations. Review the Traveler’s Checklist.